Saturday, February 26, 2011

Homeschool Update

We have had a really good week of school this week. The kids have worked hard in school and really been trying to help out with chores. The boys have even recently learned to sweep! It is amazing to me at times how much the boys are learning or have learned, both in school and in life.  Parker is reading so well and I can not take the credit for that; it just comes naturally for him. Timothy has been working really hard and is doing so much better! If were not for him getting his vowel sounds mixed up at times, he would be well on his way. I am faithful that that day is coming!  Leanne is a mess. I teach her some, but not too much; she has plenty of school days in the years ahead so I don't push her too hard, but she is around and hears and sees what I am teaching the boys.  She wrote me a note this week sounding out the words as best as she can; it was so cute and she got the point across!

We had a great field trip to Mrs. Hanes' Moravian Cookie Factory in Clemmons, NC on Friday. This was a great trip. I was honestly a little surprised at how much fun we had and how yummy these handmade cookies are. One of the best parts of these trips is that this is one place we get to see other families.  After almost a school year in our local association, the kids have friends that they look forward to seeing. Yesterday, Timothy made a new friend. It was so cute, he couldn't remember his name, but he got his phone number and couldn't wait to call him!

As I talk to many of my homeschool friends, I sometimes wonder if I try to be too structured... But, I recently read in an encouraging book that I should not compare myself, my husband, my kids, my home, my homeschool to others. Doing this causes jealousy or feelings of inadequacy or even pride.  This is very difficult for me, if I don't compare, then how will I know how I am doing?  I should be using God as my judge for how I am doing? Have I asked God if He is pleased with my week?  Did my efforts meet His expectations? If I worry about raising and teaching for the Lord and not to compare with my friends, I will be a lot better off!




1 comment:

Jessica E said...

That is so true. I too sometimes do the comparing to other family and people and always end up feeling inadequit and like I am not doing enough to keep up with all the things everyone else is doing. Its not a good feeling and definantly not the way I intend to spend my homeschooling life. We need to do what pleases the Lord and his mercey and grace covers everything that we miss or mess up!!!!