Monday, May 24, 2010

It Takes A Great Effort!

At times homeschooling takes a great effort... on my part. In the year leading up to starting school, I just knew that Parker would be difficult. He has what we call a little "crazy" streak in him. He has ants in his pants. I knew I would have a hard time getting him to sit still and to stay focused and on task. I knew we would have battles and that he might actually hate school.

I was wrong. Parker has been an exceptional student and loves our school time.

It is Timothy. Timothy is the one who hates school. Who at some point in every school day cries. He says the work is hard and sits there refusing to do it. He plays with his pencil or his eraser, constantly twisting and turning in his seat. The thing is, he can do the work. A lot of times he know the answers before Parker. On the rare days when he puts forth focus and effort, he finishes his work before Parker and has good handwriting. The problem is those days are few and far between. It leaves him and me feeling aggravated and discouraged. I have prayed and cried over what I think is best for him. Should I put him in public school? Should I repeat kindergarten work with him so it will be easier next year?

I have always known that I wanted to homeschool our children. Public school has never been an option for us, from before they were born. To put them in public school would be disobedience to God since this is what I know He wants for our family and it would be me giving up not only on my self but Timothy also just because it is hard.

I have decided that it is okay for it to be hard and for some days to be really hard. I have decided to put forth the effort to not yell at him or get aggravated when it takes him three hours to do one hour of work. As emotionally draining as it is to do the right thing. I tell him over and over and over how smart he is and that I love him. When he starts to cry, I hug him and tell him it is okay to be sad but that I know he can do this work. And when he is done we celebrate and I remind him that I knew all along he could do it or I wouldn't have asked him to.

I pray that my great effort to love and encourage him and my great effort to not yell at him pays off. That with time he will develop confidence in school and learn to love learning. I pray that I am able to help him develop his strengths of creativity as he learns to write and draw. I know that if I continue to give this great effort my children will know what they need to know but each be able to grow in their own areas of interest and individuality. I am thankful to God that we are able to homeschool our children. It is a privilege and I don't
want to miss the small miracles and accomplishments of each day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the new look! I am very proud of you and your perseverance. As long as you are following God's will for your life, it will pay back in high returns.
Love, Michelle