Tuesday, March 1, 2011

All About Spelling

When you are homeschooling, picking out the right curriculum is really hard.  Every curriculum says that it is the best and we are left to discern whether or not it is. Last spring, I shopped for many hours for 1st grade curriculum. Language and spelling is one area that I made a bad choice.  In January, I scrapped what I had done the 1st semester and began frantically looking for something else. I came upon All About Spelling!

Let me 1st say that we all LOVE it! There are days where the boys argue about who gets to do their spelling first! How fun is that?  It is really teaching them to spell, not just memorize spelling words which I also love. They boys are learning if they can spell mat and cap, then there are a ton of other words that they also know how to spell!  This program uses visual, auditory and kinesthetic styles of learning, so it is good for most children. It is not consumable and I love that! I will not have to buy it for Leanne, what I use for Timothy and Parker, I just keep and use for her.

All About Spelling is almost an inclusive phonics program as well.  There are books that coincide with the spelling call All About Reading. These are delightful hard back books with beautiful penciled illustrations, with simple words and sentences.  These books are really helping Timothy's confidence in the area of reading.  I will never shop for another spelling program. We are currently in level 1, but there are 8 levels.

What made me try this is that there is a one year, money back guarantee. But I guarantee that you won't want to use it!

All About Spelling

Tim is spelling a word using the tiles      


This allows him to hear the sound and then see the letter using a technique called segmenting


He is doing 100% better with spelling and reading since starting this program 2 months ago.  Parker could read well before this, but his spelling has improved a great deal!
Timothy LOVES his all about reading book to go with the spelling program! He is very proud that he has now finished this book. He starts book 2 this week.

1 comment:

Doug Duggins - Production Pastor said...

Dana, you are a great mom and teacher. You care so much about how the kids are doing in school and are willing to do anything necessary to make sure they are learning up to their potential. This is truly great work. I love you.